We are passionate about helping patients reach their full potential.
Treating iron deficiency positively impacts physical and mental performance as well as the overall well-being.
The Patient Journey
2. You consult one of our doctors for help.
4. If you have iron deficiency our doctor will discuss treatment options best suited for you. This might include dietary recommendations, oral iron or intravenous iron.
If you require IV Iron - what to expect
1. Day of treatment:
Following the consultation you will receive a treatment of 500 - 1,000mg iron via a vein (intravenous iron administration).
2. Most patients report feeling a positive effect (especially in relation to their physical abilities) within ~48 hours to 1 week.
3. 4 - 6 weeks after the treatment the doctor will see you for a follow-up check (which includes assessment of your iron levels to ensure all back to normal).
4. Thereafter we recommend that you regularly check your iron levels and our doctor will guide you on frequency based on your personal risk factors.
How to obtain 500mg of iron
~500 pieces of 100g steak
Each piece contains ~5-6mg iron
~35% of haeme-iron is absorbed
~100 tablets of
therapeutic oral iron
oral iron contains
~65-100mg iron per tablet
~5-10% of oral iron is absorbed
2 standard units
of red blood cells
Each bag of allogeneic RBC
increases risk of mortality by 5%
1 mL of blood = ~0.5 mg iron
500 mg of
intravenous (IV) iron
Doses of up to 1000mg iron
can be given with a single infusion
100% of IV iron delivered
References:1) Camaschella, N Engl J Med 2015;372:1832-43. 2)
3) Monsen ER. J Am Diet Assoc 1988;88:786–90. 4) Muñoz M et al. Blood Transfusion 2017; 15:422–37.